SOPE aims to be as compatible with WO 4.5 as possible, nevertheless some things are not available, some things work different, and of course a lot of additional things are available.
TODO: write much more ...
Note: Remember to look at the WO Compatibility Options page!
Things which WO 4.5 has, but SOPE doesn't have ...
- WebScript (work in progress - stay tuned!)
- Java support (shouldn't be difficult with JIGS!)
- DirectToWeb (shouldn't be difficult if GDL2 is ready, prototype of the rule engine is available in NGExtensions
Things which are different in SOPE
- WOXML is available for Objective-C
- WOMessage XML DOM methods are available for Objective-C
- Builtin dynamic elements are class clusters for fast and small in-memory templates
- core dynamic elements in SOPE generate markup which works in both, XML/XHTML and HTML (eg <img /> instead of <img>)
Some special features of SOPE not available in WO
- components can act like direct actions! (TODO: write more)
- XML based templates (.WOx)
- "SOPE" aka DirectAction^3 aka Zope-style WO
- Various higher level reusable elements in WEExtensions (tableviews, treeviews, drag-n-drop, browsers, scheduling views, ...)
- builtin WebDAV implementation, including DASL
- builtin XML-RPC implementation
- DOM tree based rendering (NGObjDOM)
- Additional "hash" syntax in .wo wrapper templates (<#MyString/> instead of <WEBOBJECT NAME="MyString"></WEBOBJECT>)
- Supports a "cursor" in addition to the active component (incomplete, explain more)
- resource managers are bound to components
- always in direct connect mode
- SOPE:X, build WO apps as AppKit apps using WebKit
- ... TODO: add missing stuff
- -redirectToLocation: method (arg NSString or NSURL)
- supports WOx XML templates
- supports per-component resource-manager
- can act as a direct action (very cool!)
- has -existingSession method like WODirectAction